An international study says that since 1945 humanity has produced enough plastic to completely cover the Earth with cling film. Humans produce 300 million tons of plastic in the world, and this figure is increasing every year. Unfortunately, only 12% of these plastics produced are recycled. The remaining 88% goes to landfills, rivers, seas and oceans. Worse still, it is estimated that by 2050, the amount of plastic produced by humans will be 34 billion tons.
By 2050, if current ways of doing business don't change, all the plastic in the oceans could weigh more than all the fish in the oceans. Plastics are ubiquitous in our lives as their use in industry is so wide and widespread. Because it's a cheap, durable and versatile material, almost everything from electronics to the automotive industry contains plastic.
Most people's consumption of plastic is plastic bags, coffee/tea cups, water and beverage bottles, most food packaging, takeaways, etc. such as single-use plastics. There is much we can do individually to reduce our plastic consumption. But to be honest, encourage the reduction of plastic production and use through stronger government policies and actions, develop reuse models, design 100% recyclable and sustainable packaging, recycling Increasing the use of recycled, responsibly managed and renewable resources are fundamental changes that really need to be made.
In fact, rethinking and redesigning the future of plastics is the most pressing need. All individuals, companies, academia, governments, NGOs and other organizations must take active action otherwise it will be too late to save our planet from the plastic waste crisis!
So, what can we as individuals do to mitigate the impact of plastic waste on our planet?
be honest with yourself
First of all, believe that you can live without plastic and you must do this for the health of our world. If you want to manage your own plastic consumption, start by identifying how much plastic you use. Then start thinking about your daily life and habits and make a list. Then think about replacing the products you use with different materials or reusable options. It is quite possible to reduce your use of plastic, especially disposables. Because no plastic is irreplaceable!
To be honest, once you realize how harmful plastic is, you can start to panic. But don't feel lost in thought and overwhelmed and start making changes with small steps as soon as possible. The first thing we will do is to avoid disposable and unnecessary packaging and the use of disposable products in your shopping as much as possible. To prevent this, you can carry bags and containers for shopping with you.
As a customer, you may find it very difficult to shop without plastic at first. Because you can buy fruits, vegetables, grains, etc. in markets or shops. almost all of the products are in plastic packaging. The next step is to carry a water bottle with you everywhere. Invest in your own coffee thermos and get reusable cutlery for your lunch orders. Finally polyester, acrylic, lycra, elastane, nylon Stop buying clothes made from synthetic materials, such as So stop not only using plastic, but also wearing plastics!
do your best
We almost have a hard time finding a product that isn't wrapped in plastic wrap. Read the label information on the packaging of the products you will buy. Find out if it is recyclable. will start on 1st July “Plastic Free July” join the movement. Give your best for a month and experience what you can achieve. Share your goal with your relatives and friends and encourage them to be a part of this movement.
Reducing your use of plastic is an important step for both yourself and our world.
Remember that plastics are not only harmful to the seas and oceans, but also have negative effects on animals and our health.
We must not forget that we are the last generation to make our world a better place to live in.
Do what you can individually to stop plastic pollution before it's too late, and convey your demands as a consumer to the producer companies.
Take part in this movement of change and prevent our planet from becoming a plastic planet.
Because it is our Blue Planet!